Voice or text
I am a visual journalist: Equal parts editor, art director, graphics reporter, researcher, data analyst and copy editor. I am also a proficient writer and designer with a sound news judgment. I thrive in collaborative and independent environments and am experienced in breaking news and daily deadline situations.
I appreciate data-driven charts, maps, diagrams and other alternative presentation forms for their holistic ability to impart information on many levels and the analysis it takes to create them.
I'm a big fan of dogs, road trips and football, and I have been known to make a mean doughnut pie chart.
Occasionally, my work is mentioned on blogs and websites related to the field of information graphics. Here's a few:
Charles Apple: A Q&A with the Harvard Business Review’s Matt Perry
Alberto Cairo: Radar graphs: Avoid them (99.9% of the time)
Investigative Reporters and Editors: Boom for McMillin, Bust for City
Stephen Few's Visual Business Intelligence: Pictures of the News: Malofiej 19 in Review
Visual Journalism: Malofiej19 (2011) – The Program is Ready
Graphic Communication Today (2004): Terrifying Tour
Note: I'm not this Matthew Perry.
Ball State University, Muncie, Ind.
• Bachelor of Arts, Journalism Graphics/Graphics Reporting, 2001
• Honors: Admission with Distinction (1996); Presidential Scholarship (1996-2000); Pulliam Scholarship (2000-01)
Harvard Business Review • Senior Information Designer | 2014-present
The San Diego Union-Tribune | 2004-14
• Information Graphics Director | 2011-14
• Information Graphics Editor | 2008-11
• Senior News Artist | 2006-08
• News Artist | 2004-06
• The Times-Picayune, New Orleans • News Artist | 2001-04
• The Times-Picayune, New Orleans | 2001
• The Oregonian, Portland, Ore. | 2000
• The Associated Press, New York City | 1999
Freelance and part-time:
• inewsource, San Diego | 2014
• Variety, Los Angeles | 2014
• The Associated Press, New York City | 1999-01
• The Ball State Daily News | 1996-2001
• The Times-Union, Warsaw, Ind. | 1993-2001
• The Star Press, Muncie, Ind. | 1997-99
Awards and recognition
• Malofiej International Infographics Award
• Ball State University Outstanding Young Alumnus in Journalism
• Society for News Design (print and digital)
• National Headliner Awards
• Associated Press Newswriting and Photo Contest
• California Newspaper Publishers Association
• San Diego Press Club
Mac and PC: Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, HTML/CSS, ArcGIS/QGIS, Excel, Access, Cinema 4D, Natural Scene Designer, Acrobat Pro, PowerPoint, Keynote, Vjoon K4 Publishing System, QuarkXPress, FreeHand.
Detailed work history: LinkedIn